Monday 7 May 2007

Bricco Gaino, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, 2005

Bricco Gaino, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, 2005
Abruzzo, Italy, $61 (normal price $99), cork seal


I'm getting totally sick of the boring range of 'Austrlian wine I wouldn't bother drinking in Australia' at my local supermarket. Looking for a cheap red quaffer I bought this on special at a local Yuen Long wine shop. It comes from the Abruzzo region on the eastern seaboard of Italy, kind of in the middle and next to Lazio where Rome is. The wine itself is made from the Montepulciano grape, a variety local to this area (for more info see here).

I cracked this fellow last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The upfront fruit and smooth Tannins went extremely well with dinner. I've just poured glass two on night two. Disgustingly humid weather means that I'd stored the bottle in the fridge and an exhausting day at work meant that I was reaching for glass an hour so earlier than expected. Straight from the fridge the wine was lovely; refreshing and extremely easy to drink. As it warmed a little the noise oozed rich red fruits, I was getting a lot of plum and cherry. The $61 I handed over for this I reckon was a bargain, even at its normal price of $99 it is good value. Bricco Gaino Montepulciano d'Abruzzo is an easy to drink, food friendly and enjoyable drop; finally a punt that paid off.

No comments: