Monday 3 December 2007

Chip Seng Coffee

Rue de Pedro Nolasco da Silva, Macao
I know I sound like a wanker, but I go to Macao to buy coffee. Hong Kong doesn't just lack decent cafes, there's also an absence of freshly roasted coffee beans and as coffee is such a fundamental part of my life I'd go to Mars to buy it if I had too.

Chip Seng is the small family run supermarket that has the vital task of supplying me with coffee. It's crowded and poorly laid out, yet hidden amongst the creamed corn, chocolate and iced tea they stock freshly roasted beans as well as all the associated paraphernalia. Their extensive selection ranges from their own house blends to stuff from Brazil, Costa Rico and Mexican to premium Blue Mountain and Hawaii beans. The basic beans start at about $35 a pound, which is a bargain compared to the $40-$50 you pay for 250 grams in Hong Kong supermarkets. But buying coffee at Chip Seng isn't just about value, it's about quality; where can you get good, freshly roasted beans in Hong Kong? The only issue I have with Chip Seng is that they don't have a fair trade alternative, which needs to be changed. If your life requires decent coffee put in the effort and get yourself across to Chip Seng, and while you're there you may as well check out their selection of Portuguese wine...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew (yes, me, the Queen of Boredom again, popping up all over the place)... I too share your thoughts on trying to find decent coffee in HK, and don't know if you've tried Kosmo in Lan Kwai Fong
(18 D'Aguliar Street). I've attached the website in case you haven't heard of it... (Yes, I know I clearly have too much time on my hands at the moment!)

http://www.kosmoliving.com/main.php

There used to be a fabulous place in TST called The Last Drop, but it has disappearand now the only place in that area is the hideous Starbucks!

Andrew said...

Hi Michelle

Thanks for the comment. I'm glad to see that you're using the HK Government's time so efficiently!

I don't think I've been to Kosmo before, but will check it out next time I get a chance. Normally when I'm in Lan Kwai Fong I tend to have beer not coffee though...

There are a few decent places scattered around to get cup of coffee, but still difficult and expensive to get good beans. I was looking in Great the other day and their coffee beans averaged about $45 per 100 grams. That's $225 a lb compared to $40 at Chip Seng, and I know who I'd rather give my money to!

Andrew

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cindy said...

u might want to check out Fresh at North Point. Beans are freshly roasted, that's all I can say since I'm a tea person.
http://hkcoffee.com/

Andrew said...

Hey Cindy

Thanks for the comment and advice. Yuen Long where I live is a long way from North Point, but I do have a few friends who live there so next time I'm in the area I'll take your advice and have a look at 'Fresh'.

Cheers
Andrew

Saham said...

Hi... can you pls let me know the web site or tele number of Chip Seng Coffee.... thanking you in ahead.....