Wednesday 27 August 2008

Metcalfe Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2007

Macedon Ranges, Victoria, Australia, stelvin seal

Victoria's Macedon Ranges are an area in which I've spent a bit of time; climbing in the phenomenal bad weather of Camel's Hump and fishing in places I wasn't supposed to. While not particularly well known in Hong Kong, the region makes some cracking good wines. Metcalfe Valley is a relatively new winery and this is their first Sauvignon Blanc realise. This was a gift from a mate who's involved in the venture and it may be the only bottle to have come to Hong Kong.

Metcalfe Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2007 is a classic straw gold in colour. The nose is an absolutely delicious mix of tropical fruits; it's dominated by pineapple and passionfruit, but I also smell aromas of starfruit, peach and apricot. These tropical flavours continue on the palate, but there's also a citrus component that brings zingy grapefruit and lime. I was impressed by how drinkable this wine was - it had a lovely long finish, yet remained crisp and refreshing. If I had to find fault I'd say it was a little empty in the mid-palate, but it really is a lovely wine; I'm a fan.

Visit winery website.

No comments: