Thursday 22 January 2009

The Ruins Pinotage 2008

Eilandia, Robertson, $68, screwtop
I haven't tried much Pinotage, but when I saw this on special at Park n Shop for bargain price of $38 I thought I'd give it a go. The Ruins is a brand that is readily available in Hong Kong and offers organic wines at very reasonable prices. The back label goes into detail about their method of planting a crop of lucerne as a competing ground cover that encourages deep root growth in the vines and reduces yields; I always find a bit of farming know how interesting.

The Ruins Pinotage 2008 is a vibrant, sparkling purple colour. It smells of great lashing of raspberry candy and fizzy sarsaparilla. The palate is just as sweet as the nose; this wine is all about red lollies, not red fruit. I can taste strawberry chewing gum, cherry candy and sweet children's' cough syrup. I'm not really sure what to make of this, though it is young and could perhaps do with a tad more time in the bottle. It's medium bodied and has a slight frizz to it. Their website suggests serving it slightly chilled and it's certainly the type of wine that could be easily chucked back on a Tuesday afternoon. While it's not really my style there's something a tad morish about it; at the price you can try it for yourself.

Visit winery website.

No comments: