Friday 25 September 2009

Amavi Cellars Syrah 2003

Walla Walla Valley, Washington State, cork

I'm scared of buying wines from the US. The fake, syrupy sweetness of the cheaper offerings and a perception of gross over-pricing amongst the better quality bottles means I normally steer clear. From what I can gather Amavi Cellars are a sister winery/second label of Pepperbridge Winery. I can't remember how much this cost, but I think it was about $200. Things got a little dangerous when I opened this; the glass on the lip splinted, the cork crumbled and it was a bit touch and go whether we were going to be drinking glass shards and cork crumbs.
Amavi Cellars Syrah 2003 is pretty dark in colour with a red-tinge - actually it's a similar shade to the hair of the blokes who drive minibuses between Yuen Long and Mong Kok. This smells absolutely spectacular; it's one lush hit of big flavours including plums, white pepper and coffee. This really is screaming out classic cool climate Syrah. On the palate there's a mash of red fruits with plenty of blueberries and plums, but what wins this for me is the smooth, smooth texture. Fine tannins, warm but controlled alcohol and a long palate all complete the seductive silkiness of this to make it a beautiful package. Amavi Cellars Syrah 2003 comes highly recommended; it's the best wine I've had from the US.

Visit winery website.

No comments: