Saturday 8 December 2007

King Ludwig Beerhall

Middle Rd, TST East
Visited 7th December

King Ludwig Beerhall is plonked in a strange spot out in the weird wastes of TST East, more specifically the J1 exit of the KCR Station. As its Hong Kong there is of course multi branches of the same restaurant and the original King Ludwig's is found at Stanley. I was meeting a group of friends for Christmas dinner and was impressed that Santa made a surprise appearance. The authenticity of the Germanic decor - big wooden tables, Bavarian pennants, dark lighting and mounted boar's head - was contrasted by the huge TV playing football and the cover-band in the corner; a strange combination indeed.

The menu at King Ludwig's is all about Germany and offers a selection of schnitzels, potato cakes and of course sausages. I couldn't resist the roast pork knuckle, which came served with sauerkraut and roast potatoes. The huge crispy chunk of pork, which was carved before being served, was genuinely delicious; and I thought good value at $125. Others weren't so lucky with their meals and a mate felt ripped off paying $180 for a tasty, but pathetically tiny serve of seafood. As it was a celebration of sorts and the litre steins of Veltins German Pilsner I drank went down an absolute treat, particularly during happy 'hour' when they were only $65.

All up my visit to King Ludwig Beerhall was positive. The service was professional and friendly, my meal was good and those $65 steins were superb. I'm not sure if the 'beerhall' is quite the correct title for King Ludwig's as it seems much more much more focused on being a 'restaurant', but what ever you want to call it, it's worth a look. Visit restaurant website.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i posted my king ludwig beerhall experience here: http://mochachocolatarita.blogspot.com/2008/02/blog-post.html

fancy link-a-link?

Andrew said...

Hi Rita
Sorry it's taken a little while to get back to you. I've nearly two months of non-stop visitors and three trips overseas; busy, but fun times. I'm about to update my blogroll to include some Hong Kong food blogs and you'll be top of my list :)
Andrew