Tuesday 10 February 2009

Devil's Lair Chardonnay 2002

Margaret River, Australia, cork seal
I often think that I don't drink enough wine from Australia's western region of Margret River. I dragged this bottle from my cellar last time I was in Australia; though I've no idea where I got it or what I paid for it. I think the current vintage retails for about A$40-50. Watson's Wine sells Devil's Lair here in Hong Kong and their second label, Fifth Leg, is readily available. The wine spent twelve months in new and one year old French oak.

It smells like sunny old school Chardonnay, big and rich with obvious oak. It's good though and the aromas of grapefruit, lemon rind, pineapple, walnut and surfboard wax are appealing. The palate is rich and lush; again the oak's obvious alongside almonds, peaches and mangoes. Devil's Lair Chardonnay 2002 is a big, full on wine with impressive length. While not really my style I enjoyed this, though it wasn't Earth shattering and probably, I feel, not worth the asking price.

Visit winery website.

No comments: