Tuesday 3 February 2009

Me-n-me Noodles

68 Honmachi, Himeji, Japan
Visited 2nd February 2009

After skiing at Nozawa Onsen we headed to Kyoto to explore Japan's former capital. Our first afternoon was spent amongst the tranquil beauty of the Fushimi Inari Shrine and next morning we caught the train to Himeji to visit its amazing castle. When we arrived it was time for brunch and we took a recommendation from the Lonely Planet and stopped at Me-n-me Noodles. If you're visiting Himeji this little restaurant is pretty simple to find - get off the train - walk along the main street towards the castle (you really, really can't miss this castle) - the restaurant is about two thirds of the way down on the left - look for a flag with a wacky picture of noodles being rolled.

Life at Me-n-me Noodles is pretty simple; it's all about udon in curry sauce. I went for a serve of curry beef noodles and was pretty impressed when I saw the chef start pulling, folding and rolling to make my udon to order. These delicious noodles were perfectly cooked and beautifully chewy. Japanese curry doesn't normally rock my boat but the sauce that was on these was pretty damn good; thick, rich and a beautiful blend of sweet spices it was the perfect accompaniment for a winters morning.

I can't remember how much our noodles cost, but they were certainly good value. People come to Himeji to see its spectacular castle, but the neighbouring Kokoen Gardens are also worth a visit as is Me-n-me Noodles; a rather delicious attraction for both tourists and locals alike.

No comments: