Wednesday 28 October 2009

Chapel Down 'English Rose' Brut

Tenterden, Kent, £19.99, cork

When my mother's in town I normally rustle up a bottle of Champagne, but as she's an English Woman so I thought this might be an even better. English wines are gaining a bit of creditability and sparkling wine is at the forefront. Chapel Down from Kent is one of the leaders in this emerging industry. Strangely their extensive website fails to give any details of their wines, but I think this is made from 100% Pinot Noir grapes. The bottle does tell me the grapes have been hand-picked in Kent, Sussex and Essex and it's made using traditionally bottle fermentation.
Pale salmon pink in colour with super fine bubbles; it's a pretty start. The nose smells delicious with a big wallop of raspberries, hints of tangerine and bath salts. The palate's fine, dry and linear; it's a pretty sleek operation. I taste plenty of sweet red summer berries as well as a hint of grapefruit. We polished off the bottle before dinner, but I'd be interested to see how this wine went with food as I was really impressed with its stylish structure - decent line and length is, after all, rather unusual for a Pom. Chapel Down 'English Rose' Brut really is a lovely wine. I too knew an English rose once (sigh) ...

Visit winery website.

No comments: