Thursday 5 April 2007

Argento Cabernet Sauvignon 2006

Argento, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2006
Mendoza, Argentina, $52, synthetic cork seal

Welcome to my first wine review. From the start it's important to say I can't claim an educated palate, with an acute ability to pick a amazing cornucopia of flavours and fragrance. Instead what I want to do is report what I have been drinking and what I think of it. In a country where tax on wine is huge and prices often seem to border on the ridicules a key focus will be what's good value for money and in my opinion what's worth drinking.

While a big fan of Chilean wine, Argentina has not done much to inspire me. My previous impression was tainted by a couple of very cheap, extremely over oaked whites. Not surprisingly though, a country like Argentina which produces such fine beef, should be able to knock together a few decent bottles of red.

School holidays have started and I've managed to drink several bottles of this over the last few weeks; a couple of bottles even disappearing with afternoon tea! The wine drinks very well. The nose is ripe with rich red fruits. A slight sweetness balances the palate so that it holds iteself together, glass after glass.
Argento Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 is also extremely food friendly, at a local BYO restaurant the other night it seemed far superior to the Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 that was drunk before it. This really is a wine I could drink a lot of and while it's available for $52 I can almost afford to; good quaffing value.

Visit winery website

No comments: