Sunday 9 March 2008

G.H. Mumm Cordon Rouge Champagne

G. H. Mumm Cordon Rouge Champagne NV
Reims, France, $249, cork seal

My mother's a fan of the bubbles and with her staying we are getting through sparkling wine by the truckload. The budget announcement cutting wine tax meant that many of the big chains are already discounting and I was able to snaffle this rather cheaply. Again it's the classic Champagne blend of Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay.

The nose is pretty light on, there's a fragrance of strawberries, sourdough and a slight saltiness reminding me a little of sardines. The palate is smooth, soft and flavourless with a touch of stale crackers. Though not faulty this did absolutely nothing for me. A simple sparkling that has me inspired to park my cash elsewhere and an example of why I don't buy much champagne; an overpriced disappointment.

Visit winery website.

No comments: