Saturday 26 July 2008

Hoddles Creek Chardonnay 2007

Yarra Valley, Victoria, A$17.99, stelvin seal
I went to school with the D'Anna boys; though I'll quickly add they were a couple of years older. I see Anthony occasionally when I buying wine in Melbourne, but all I hear about Franco is the awesome wines he's making at Hoddles Creek; their family's Yarra Valley winery. Their whole range has gained a reputation for offering super quality and super value; selling for sub A$20 a bottle, they are certainly a contender for offering the best QPR in Australia.

Sparkling yellow in colour the nose on this is clean and fresh. I smell stone fruits, chalk, faint citrus aromas and a hint of spicy oak. On the palate the stone fruit are hanging around with grapefruit and pear flavours, watched over by a nice mineraly edge. It's well put together with a restrained, clean-cut jibe, integrated alcohol and good length. Hoddles Creek Chardonnay 2007 is an awesome wine; it drinks beautifully and offers pleasure and sophistication at bargain price.

Visit winery website.

No comments: