Monday 9 July 2007

Trattoria Nobilduca

Shop 105, Level 1, Ocean Centre, Harbour City, Kowloon
Visited 9th July


With tears in my eyes and frustration in my heart I was pushing through hoards of shoppers; tied, hungry, desperate for caffeine and mourning the loss of Colorado Cafe. For such a huge and obnoxiously trendy shopping centre, there are very few places that serve coffee at Harbour City. I was lucky and stumbled upon Trattoria Nobilduca. Positioned on the lower level with fantastic views across Lantau Island, Trattoria Nobilduca serves stylish Italian food. I arrived in time for an 'afternoon-tea set', which with an additional glass of wine, was just what I needed.

Choosing four items off I menu I indulged in a roast Italian sausage, mini club sandwich, deep-fried ravioli and a crème caramel. The sausage was superb - oozing with fennel seeds, herbs and chunky meat - the sandwich and fried ravioli were both good, but the highlight was defiantly the crème caramel. This tiny sweet titbit got me very excited. It was creamy and smooth, but dense and rich in texture and mouth-wateringly delicious; awesome. The coffee that came with the set was good and the glass of Pinot Grigio I ordered was OK, though way, way over-priced at $85.

Trattoria Nobilduca offers friendly service, but its winning feature is the spectacular view over the harbour and Lantau Island. The food I tried as part of the 'afternoon-tea set" was lovely, but I am a little concerned that prices for a full meal could be a bit over the top. I paid $88 for four small bites and a coffee, plus another $85 for a glass of wine. I'd recommended Trattoria Nobilduca for a crème caramel based afternoon tea (if you're stupid enough to be spending an afternoon shopping at Harbour City) and though I would love to try their lunch menu, I'm sceptical that the whole place is a bit over-priced.

Visit restaurant website


No comments: