Tuesday 30 June 2009

Summerhouse Chardonnay 2006

Wairau Valley, Marlborough, $99, screwtop

Summerhouse wines are produced by Heather and Meric Davies, a friendly and genuine couple who I met at an Adelaide Cellar Door tasting event. Meric I might add has what is probably one of the best beards in New Zealand. I was impressed with their wines and especially enjoyed the Pinot Noir and Blanc de Blanc, though it was a bottle of Chardonnay that I found I'd come into possession of. Made in a certified sustainable way the fruit comes from their vineyard in Marlborough's Wairau Valley.
The nose is distinctly Chardonnay and smells of stonefruit, lemons and cashews. There are obvious oak derived flavours on the palate alongside lots of citrus; lemon and grapefruit, actually this tastes a bit like old-school-home-made-buy-at-a-church-fete lemon butter. I drank this over two nights and I liked it a lot better on the second. The first night I found the finish was dominated by alcohol heat, while on the second it seemed a lot more settled and pleasant. I'm not 100% sure about this wine, while I liked it I didn't love it; there's just nothing special enough about it to really rock my boat, though you can’t deny it’s not bad value.

Visit winery website.

No comments: