Tuesday 21 July 2009

Lanson Black Label Champagne

Reims, Champagne, £21.99, cork seal

Catching up with family in the UK is a pretty good excuse for a bottle of Champagne and this non-vintage offering from Lanson got the job. It is a blend of 35% Chardonnay, 50% Pinot Noir and 15% Pinot Meunier. I was a touch sniffily when I tried this, so if allergies meant I didn't do it justice I blame a rasping, decrepit, aged runt of a dog.
It's a lovely dark golden colour with medium sized bubbles that offer plenty of fizz. The nose took a little time to grow on me, but when it opened up it was certainly in the big 'n' fruity style. There were aromas of red berries, straw, honey and raisin toast. The palate was rich and complex with plenty of rich fruit and touch of sweetness. I tasted red berries, lemon butter, pear and nuts. This is a big, ballsy style of sparkling wine that worked better alongside food. It's got a lovely rich flavour and good length, but I felt that is was perhaps missing the freshness and acidity to be a really blow my mind. Lanson Black Label Champagne; tasty, but not amazing.

Visit winery website.

No comments: