Friday 5 February 2010

Enio Ottaviani 'Novecento 28' 2007

San Clemente, Emilia-Romagna, $128, cork

In Hong Kong shopping is king and I'm not sure whether I should be ashamed or proud that I was able to purchase this within the confines of the Yuen Long West Rail train station. Goodwell where I found this provides me with pasta, dried fruit, all things tinned and in this case a bottle of plonk. It's an IGT wine from the often poorly rated area of Emilia-Romagna. Produced by a family company based near San Giovanni in Marignano, a town 120km south of Bologna, it is a blend of 85% Sangiovese and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon. The colour is dark, rich and red (though I'm not sure why I bother telling you this). There’re big aromas all over the shop; it smells of spice (cinnamon and star anise), red fruit, cherry bubble gum and strangely enough oats. The palate’s all about sweet fruit with flavours of strawberry jam, cherries and plums, though there’s also a touch of mocha. This is well put together with big, chewy tannins and a full, rich feel in the mouth. I enjoyed drinking Enio Ottaviani 'Novecento 28' 2007, but to be honest it felt a little generic and boring; I was expecting Italy and instead got 'IGT Red Wine'.

Visit winery website.

No comments: